Thursday, March 08, 2007


Art of all kind . . .



This piece of art is made by JRD Tata.
Stop for a moment and try to find out what it is he try to show. What do you see in the painting?
An angle looking at the sunset?? A shot through the heart of an person, with streaming blood??
The moon or crescent moon . . . Or something else? It is a lot of possibilities . . .
If I tell you that this is a self portrait of the painter, will you believe me??
Do you notice the "hole" to right, in the center of the crescent? That hole is essencial . . .
In a moment the face of the painter will appear right in that hole . . .
If you take the painting and lay it down on the surface of a table . . .
Then you put a cylindric mirror exactly in that "hole" to right, in the center of the crescent . . .
The face of the painter will appear in the mirror . . .
*
*
*




The painter never told how he did it . . .


8 comments:

none said...

Amazing. It reminds me of the tricks the flemish masters used.

KATHBEE said...

Coooool!!! That's just amazing alright! I LOVE things like that!

Like Escher's painting of those hands...

curmudgeon said...

That is spiffy!

Jeannie said...

That really is amazing.

Lexcen said...

Kirsten, what appears amazing is in fact quite easy to do. If you hold a canvas at an acute angle and paint something on it, it will look ok from that acute angle but looking at the canvas from the normal face on angle, it is obviously distorted. I came across this fact by accident when I painted a portrait of my wife and it didn't look quite right until I looked at it from the side. Then the face appeared perfect. I realized I wasn't sitting directly in front of the canvas when I was painting.

The Phosgene Kid said...

Cool!!

Kirsten N. Namskau said...

Thanks for the comments folks.
I have come over several artists lately that make a kind of new and very interesting kind of art.

Lexcen: Hmmm ... That's interesting. Is it a chance that you can post the painting? One from front and one angeled?

Anonymous said...

oh, my dear lady! i value your knowledge and spirits. unfortunately i render my service by attending a regular job. i am not blessed by god like you.
but, god has given me the heart to appreciate the good work done by ladies like you.
-pudumai balakrishnan
chief traffic warden
pondicherry
india