Tuesday, December 05, 2006

The call from behind the trees . . .

By Kirsten Nour Namskau


I love the nature. (That’s the one thing I miss in Egypt . . . nature and the seasons.)
When I go for walks in the nature, I walk slowly . . . always with my pentatonic flute. A flute with only 5 tones/notes . . .(the sounds of the black tangents of a piano. It’s called the pentatonic scale, or the harmonic scale.) Whatever you try to play on the flute, it comes out a beautiful, harmonic melody.
In the nature it’s like magic . . .

One day as usually, I went with my flute in the pocket.
As I walked, I suddenly got aware of some sounds in the wood. I knew it was an animal, so I took attention and made myself “hearable”, so the animal should not be taken by surprise.
I sat down and took up my flute and started to play.
Soft tones slowly filled the forest and the “magic” didn’t disappoint with it’s absent.
I could see through my side-sight that something came out from the wood. Whatever kind of animal it was . . . I lowered my head and shoulders to show respect. After all . . . . this was not my territory, this was the territory of the wild-life.
Slowly, I turned my head and looked at the animal . . . it was a female silka-deer.
She stood all still and looked at me. I tried to catch all the body-signals possible and looked also for her fallow or/and mate.
She was alone . . .slowly she lowered her head and blow light with her nose.
I cleared my mind for all thoughts and feelings and “opened up” to her. . . I blow a “kiss” back to her.
She turned and went a few step into the wood . . .then she came back again and looked at me.
The previous procedure got repeated.
She wanted me to follow her . . . I put that thought in action . . . she flagged her tail . . . . (meaning fear.)
I rose slowly and went towards her. She turned and started to walk into the wood 5 meter in front of me. From time to time she turned to see if I followed.
But . . . she walked ~ and walked ~ and walked and at the end I thought I had misunderstood her. At this point I was not even sure if I could find my way back again, because we had been walking in an animal-track, which is not as visible as tourist-tracks.
I stopped and sat down to take a rest before I went back again.
Then she stopped too and looked at me. She then rose her head, stretched her neck and gave a call.
I sat all still . . . from long distance she got an answer.
She looked at me again, and then turned and started to walk . . . she turned her head to see if I followed.
I stood up and continue to follow.
Suddenly she stopped and stared into the wood. I stopped, not sure what to expect.
I could hear another animal, the one which had answered.
Slowly I went up to see . . . it was her fallow . . . with one foot stacked in a trap.
When the fallow saw me it got scared and tried to pull it’s foot out, with the result that the blood started to run in heavy stream.
I went back and went in a big semicircle to come behind the fallow, so it should not see me.
Slowly and as silent as possible, I approached the fallow from behind. The mare had now come up to the fallow and embraced it, leaning face to face and blew “kisses” into the fallow’s nose.
The fallow didn’t notice me before I was at its side. I bended down and had to use all the power I had to be able to open the trap and release the foot of the fallow.
In the same split of a second the foot was released, the fallow run into the wood. The mare also run after the fallow, but right before she disappeared between the trees, she stopped for a second . . . turned her head and looked at me . . . She lowered her head and blew me a “kiss.”


8 comments:

BBC said...

When I walk to the hot springs to be with nature and Goddess I'm not in any hurry. I just walk along with my (our) thoughts.

Unless someone is with me that day, then of course we talk a lot.

It's a beautiful walk to the hot springs, have you read the posts I wrote about them?

I talk to plants also, if the others don't get it that isn't our problem hon.

Have a wonderful day. Hugs

Anonymous said...

Sweet story Kirsten.

BBC said...

Some humor for ya.
My husband, being unhappy with my mood swings, bought me a mood ring the other day so he would be able to monitor my moods. We've discovered that when I'm in a good mood, it
turns green. When I'm in a bad mood, it leaves a big red mark on his forehead. Maybe next time he'll buy me a diamond.

The Phosgene Kid said...

I suspect even if it was a golden flute it would sound pretty bad if I got my hands on it. I can’t carry tune in a bucket.

I like Arabic music. I have some I brought back from Bahrain and my son brought me some from Kuwait.

Anonymous said...

I don't understand. You miss nature in Egypt but, as in in my part of the world, you need only look to see it.

The strength of all that surrounds you. The beauty of a flower that lives against all odds. The wild calling in the night from creatures in the dark who would dare announce their presence.

I live in the desert. My soul lives in the desert. There is uncounted life and spirit here. I would never leave this place of beauty and strength.

none said...

In my neighborhood people feed the deer. They often become fairly tame and lay in the front yards and lounge under the oak trees.

Every spring I drive the kids around and show them the new fawns.

Kirsten N. Namskau said...

bbc: LOL... keep up your good mood.

Freddie: Thank you

Phosegen Kid: You would do good. If you ever come close to a piano, try to use the black tangents...in whatever way you press the tangents, it will come a harmonic melodi. That's the same with this flute.

Mark:Do you live at the Red Desert in Texas? Or Nevada desert? I have heard about the nature there.

Hammer: Think if the world could be like that, that human and animals could live in peace and harmony together.

Princess Saphire said...

The experience is really beautiful. To be able to understand wild lives and speak their language. I only get to see stray cats and dogs, and helplessly trying to get their attention to come to me. Usually they just walk off...